Skip to content

October 8, 2009

7 Comments Post a comment
  1. Stephanie Hensley
    Oct 8 2009

That ticks me off just reading it…AND I want a friggin’ bagel…for FREE!!

2. Amanda
    Oct 8 2009

Everyone loves something for free every now and again, but it’s hard to make client’s understand that time is money and small businesses can’t afford to give handouts all the time. I feel your pain.

3. Lori
    Oct 8 2009

I cringe just thinking about those scenarios. Just about as much as when students don’t understand why we can’t print their stuff and make it work! There’s a lot of work involved people…do you part. It’s a 2-way street dear friends. ~lm

ps I’m with Stephanie – I’d like a bagel for FREE (or a little debbie, I’m not picky). 🙂

4. emilyjoymc
    Oct 8 2009

ahhhhh! i forget how much all of us designers and printers have in common! i have found those people who ask for freebies don’t appreciate the value of good work. you get what you pay for!

5. Oct 8 2009

It’s charity season and when you are a designer that means requests for invitations. Just finished a great freebie. First request. We need 50 invitations. Next request. We really need 200 invitations if possible. Ok, I did it. I printed them myself and cut them out by hand because they bled. They were 2 sided so each piece of paper had to go through the printer twice. Next request. Can you jazz up the envelope? So all 200 envelopes were individually fed through the printer twice. Yes they wanted these 2 sided also. Next request. We loved the invitations, Can you make one for our face book page? Next request. Can we get five more of the invitations, but make them 8 x 10 so they will fit in picture frames? Next request. We were at the office store and found these things called business card holders. Can we get donation cards to put in those? So I made 150 business cards which bled and were once again printed by me and cut by hand. I’m pretty sure I have the word “sucker” tattooed on my forehead. Should have asked Erik to do the printing & cutting for free. LOL

6. aj
    Oct 8 2009

Freebies are okay when you get something in return (hmm I guess it’s not really a freebie then?) like if you were doing invites for a charity event but then you got to attend or something?

But I think it should be up to you to offer freebies, not something people ask for.

7. Kelly Gordon
    Oct 8 2009

Being a co-owner of a small business, I can totally relate to this. Why do people assume you do not pay for the stuff they ask you to give away? Whether it is a bagel, a computer, a stack of invitations, a cup of coffee, or simply your time, it all cost us money. This is the time of year when people knock on our door and ask for donations for different charities and events. We feel almost pressured to say yes because we want to protect the reputation of our business in this small city and possibly get a new customer out of it. It is almost like peer pressure. I often wonder if I went to the schools who call on us each year for donations and said, “Hey, we would like to try out your school for free this year to see if we like it” if they would comply. Hmmmmm…..I think not. It is such a double standard. I read what Emily wrote and I laughed outloud for sure. NOT because I think it is funny, but simply because I can relate. IF you added up all the money it cost to PAY for the tangible items you GAVE away plus the time and labor you put into All OF IT, SHEESH, you could have easily made some good money on that project. It does not maks us suckers, it makes us business men and women trying to get new business. In this economy, we all need the good PR. However, it seems we just cannot draw the line and that is what makes is vulnerable all the time. It is hard to be nice, isn’t it? I am still glad I am on my side of the fence. I would hate to be the one who takes all the time. Quite the quandary, huh?